Friday 26 July 2013

So you think these comedians are funny...

Who makes the stand-ups laugh? Who would they pay to see? They tell us which up-and-coming stars tickle their fancy

Russell Kane
Steven Berkoff [doing a play, An Actor’s Lament] is the master of linguistic weird. Yes, please. Stewart Lee is perhaps my favourite stand-up comedian. Last year he even had a routine mocking my stuff. It felt like being struck by a master ninja. When interviewed, he said: “I haven’t seen it, but the Stewart Lee on stage would think that because Russell Kane’s got a streak in his hair, he can’t be any good.” Genius.
Lucy Porter
I think Ian Smith is great. Most comics choose a theme for their shows, and Ian’s gone for the restrictive subject matter of Anything. I hope that some people turn up thinking he’s Ian Smith the former prime minister of Rhodesia. I’ll also be checking out Aisling Bea. She won the So You Think You’re Funny competition last year, but my Irish family is more impressed that she was in the RTE soap operaFair City.
Al Murray
Newish: I saw Bec Hill last year and she is very funny, fresh and full of ideas. Cartoons, tall tales, gags and a deliciously self-aware fondness for puns. An original. Oldish: I saw David Baddiel’s show earlier this year in preview and it is fascinating. He gets to grips with fame, its and his ups and downs, and is very, very funny.
Reginald D Hunter
The ideas in Glenn Wool’s jokes have, for me, always been several years ahead of everyone else around him. Usually the consequence of this is depression — I don’t know how he copes with it. When I see Brendon Burns I know that 20 minutes of the show will be dedicated to pushing the form, another 20 minutes will be dedicated to pushing himself but it’s the final 20 minutes I go for. Usually it’s a sublime mix of head, heart and balls.
Gyles Brandreth 
The joy of Edinburgh is the unexpected. But Fringe tickets aren’t as cheap as once they were so I alternate the serendipitous with the sure-fire. With Nicholas Parsons’sHappy Hour you are in safe hands. And Alistair McGowan is the thinking man’s impressionist (Erik Satie and Eric Cantona jostle in his repertoire). Unusually for an impressionist he is at his most intriguing when he is being himself.
Richard Herring 
Bridget Christie has been my hot pick for the past half a dozen Fringes. Finally everyone else seems to have realised how great she is. This might be her year. Nick Helm is an act right on the edge of superstardom. Make sure you see him now because next year he will be playing gigs in outer space.
Hardeep Singh Kohli
An Irish musical comedy act called the Rubberbandits. Deliciously dark and wholly humorous. As an old-timer I was hugely influenced by Alexei Sayle, the godfather of alternative comedy. After 17 years he’s back. Youth is great but there’s nothing like a seasoned performer to show you how it’s done.
Tim Vine
I’m most looking forward to seeing Paul Foot and also Barry from Watford. They are both pure joy to me.
Sara Pascoe
I’ve seen previews of John Robins’s show and it is one of the funniest I’ve ever seen. Breathtaking lines and jokes I wish I’d written, all nestling among nostalgic storytelling and wonderful post-adolescence anxiety. Jessica Fostekew is a naturally funny person, the sort of comic who makes you excited when they take the mike. Her new show is so honest and full of heart, mostly about moving in with her hoarder boyfriend.
Stewart Lee
K*** and the Gang’s scatological, sexual, deeply stupid songs suggest John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester, fronting early Depeche Mode. Their overflowing buckets of change show the Free Fringe model in full effect year after year. [Also] Gamarjobat. This Japanese physical comedy duo are a cross between Laurel and Hardy and Madness. Kids and adults will love their breathtakingly brilliant slapstick clowning. I can’t wait to take my children, who will talk about this for the rest of their lives.
Stephen K Amos
Carey Marx had to pull out of last year’s Fringe due to a medical emergency. I’m intrigued to discover his insight into the saga. A gifted storyteller and a must-see show. I’m also hoping to catch as many debut shows as I can on the Free Fringe. Rhys James, in his debut hour, is top of my list. I’ll certainly be putting something in the collection box. Whether it’s coins or notes depends on the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment